The Future of Search is the Follower
2010/08/10 7 Comments
Spam, Social Media and the future of Search
Search engines and the advertisers they serve have a big problem with Social Media; they can’t shape its content and appear to have innovated beyond spam and PR with the follower. The future of internet marketing and search is the follower.
Social Media and the Follower
The follower is like a heat seeking missile that follows targeted people in social media–usually ‘influencers’ because social media bloggers, influential or not, have become immune to subtle efforts of advertisers to promote their products or generate content to attract people that like content generated by specific bloggers. It seems that once a blogger is identified as being influential or a blog as a gathering space for bloggers of influnce one or more followers are dispatched to blogs to offer content that interjects the stories important to their patrons, the advertisers. This is natural and easy as blogs are content generation engines.
The main purpose of the content offered by followers is meant to;
- create physical links to advertiser social media or web sites
- stimulate a search to the products mentioned
Follower Note and Disclaimer
While the example below quite probably is not an example of a follower–unless Wolfram is the patron– the out of context post mimics follower behavioural patterns brilliantly.
Unless you are part of the Semantic Web LinkedIN group you won’t see the original post that I use to describe the behavioural patterns of real followers but you will see my response, my second adjusting response and Semantic SEO report maps created by our SpeedSynch internet marketing software.
Exploit Followers with Semantic Signatures
- Semantic Signature — a Semantic SEO report in map crafted with SpeedSynch Internet Marketing software, example below.
Followers place stories in blogs, forums and blog posts as people and search engine spiders are both leary of automated or programatically generated content motivated by advertisers selling products or harvesting eyeballs to justify advertising prices.
This is how can I respond positively to follower content and shape their content and energy to add value to our products:
- Create a Semantic SEO report map of follower content.
- Connect a follower’s content to sematic signatures of our product and social media content with a semantic response.
- Adjust our blog response as needed to reinforce semantic signatures of our products, web and social media content.
- Post a semantically engineered blog reponse in a different social media island.
- Cross connect the exploiting content across social media islands for maximum effect.
Note: Click on the map once or twice to enlarge or use the zoom feature in your browser…
Semantic Signature FAQ
I am happy to respond to questions with LinkedIN groups where I am a member or go to see my Twitter feed for other examples.
The techniques used for this post are fractal and span multiple time scales–see Social Media Perspectives and Software Tools.